Friday, August 26, 2011

Love Letter No. 1

I pick you up from your crib when you cry out in the middle of the night and I see the tear stain on your pink little cheek. As I wipe the tear away we walk together to the rocking chair, me holding you, with your head fitting perfectly on my shoulder. I hum to you the sweet songs of how much I love you, your breathing patterns slowly start to slow down to match mine and I feel your heartbeat against my chest. As the sniffles start to die away your stunning blue eyes flutter shut and with every blink your eyelids get heavier and heavier. The next thing I know you have drifted off to sleep and I know you are having sweet dreams because I see a smile cross your face as your eyelids twitch mid-slumber. I realize that you will not always be this little so I hug you tight against me. In just a few short years you will wiggle away from my hugs and kisses, and one day you will hold ME in YOUR arms. Rocking you to sleep is not a chore to me, it is a privilege. I shuffle back to your crib and kiss your forehead and breathe in your sweet smell. One more hug before I gently lay you in your bed. As I touch your angel face I tell you I love you. You quietly stir at my touch and roll over to your belly. One last look before I leave you to dream and I realize that this is what i was always meant to do. I was born to be your mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment